Inclusive and Digital Art Education
“Unicorn” learning materials assist in improved art education in primary schools
The learning materials consist of five simple and crucial elements that enhance the moderation of art education at primary schools. The materials are divided in three education levels: 1st-3nd grade, 4th-6th grade, 7th-9th grade. The format and content of the materials is based on the Competence Education Approach of the Republic of Latvia. The five elements are briefly described below.
- Lesson justification and methodical comment for each topic is provided, including sequence of students’ activities, possible conclusions and opportunities for integration with other learning areas, keywords to describe visual means, creative process and context of learning, criteria for the development of the outcome of artistic activity and the learning, selection of materials for the particular lesson.
- Analysis of works of art consists of reproductions and links to sites where each of these artworks is viewed in full. The included questions are intended to help students both by naming the acts of art and visual means of expression, as well as by interpreting cultural values.
- Action Steps contains an operating instruction for the process of creating an artwork. When the video has been watched, this material can be helpful for students to follow their own actions independently.
- Video depicts the process of creating an artwork with a teacher’s comment. Some videos show the whole process from the beginning to the end, others – particular visuals or techniques.
- Self-assessment includes open-ended sentences, which encourage the use of novel concepts and terms, and assist in the self-assessment of the student’s individual creative work quality and learning process.